The Foo Dog is a popular symbol in Feng Shui.
It is often used to protect homes and businesses from negative energy and misfortune.
In this article, we will discuss the history and meaning of the foo dog, and how you can use it to protect your home or business.
In This Article
What is the Foo Dog?
The Foo Dog is a mythical creature that originates from Chinese mythology. It is said to resemble a cross between a lion and a dog. The foo dog is also sometimes referred to as the "Chinese lion" or the "lion of Buddha."
Also stylized as Fu Dog, this creature has been a popular symbol in Chinese culture for centuries. It is often seen in art, architecture, and literature.
They were originally created as guardian lions. That's why you will often see their statues placed in front of temples and palaces to protect people from evil spirits.
In modern times, you will see them frequently, guarding Chinese homes and businesses.
The Meaning of the Foo Dog in Feng Shui
The Foo Dog is a symbol of strength, power, and protection.
In feng shui, it is believed that the foo dog can help to protect your home or business from negative energy.
It is also used as a feng shui enhancer, improving luck, health, and wealth in one's space.
Chinese Foo Dogs: Male and Female Difference
Like the Pixiu, Foo Dogs are also male and female.
The male Foo Dogs are called "Ky" while the female is known as "Lan."
The male is tasked to protect the structure of the home while the female works to guard the dwellers.
You can tell their gender by looking at what's on the Fu Dog's paw.
The male version usually holds a ball while the female holds a puppy.
How to Use Fu Dogs for Protection
Display Fu Dog Statues
If you want to use the Fu Dog for protection, you can place them at the entrance of your home or business.
You can also place them in your office or workspace.
Some people also like to keep a Fu Dog statue in their car for added protection while they are driving.
How to Place Fu Dogs: The male Fu Dog should be on the right side of the door while the female is on the left.
It's best to display a pair of Fu Dogs on each side of the entryway. A pair of Fu Dogs represent balance, the yin and yang, as well as the masculine and feminine energies.
Also, place the statues in an elevated position and not directly on the floor. You may place them on a shelf or table so that they can keep watch over your space.
Wear Foo Dog Jewelry
Another way to use the symbol for protection is to wear Foo Dog jewelry.
This can be in the form of a Foo Dog necklace, bracelet, or ring.
Wearing Fu Dog jewelry is said to bring the wearer good luck and fortune.
It is also said to protect them from harm and negative energy.
This is ideal if you wish to carry the symbol of protection with you wherever you go.
Is One Foo Dog Bad Luck?
If you have obtained a single fu dog for some reason, don't worry.
You may still display it to attract good energy.
Instead of the entryway, you can place it in different areas of your home depending on its material or color:
- Black or other dark colors: Aligns with the water element and can be used to improve your career and wealth. Place it in the north or southeast area of your home.
- Green or blue: Aligns with the wood element and can be used to inspire growth and new beginnings. Place it at the center of your home.
- Yellow, brown, or other earth colors: Algins with the earth element and can be used to bring stability. Place it at the center of your home.
- Gold, silver, white, or bronze: Aligns with the metal element and can be used to bring clarity and helpful people. Place it in the west or northwest area of your home.
- Red or other fiery colors: Aligns with the fire element and can be used to bring energy and passion. Place it in the south area of your home.
Taking Care of Your Fu Dogs
You should treat your Fu Dogs with care like an actual pet if you wish to keep the good luck and fortune flowing.
Here are some tips on how to take care of your Fu Dogs:
- Clean them regularly with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or dust.
- Cleanse them with sage smoke or incense if you feel like they are picking up negative energy.
- Avoid placing them in direct sunlight as this may fade their color.
- If you notice any cracks, chipping, or damage, have them repaired immediately.
The foo dog is a protection symbol that has been used in Chinese culture for centuries.
It is also used as an enhancer to improve luck, health, and wealth in feng shui.
If you wish to use foo dogs for protection, display them at the entrance of your home or business.
You may also wear foo dog jewelry to carry the symbol with you wherever you go.