Cleansing your obsidian is a great way to get the most out of your crystal.
However, not all methods of cleansing are safe for your stone.
In this guide, discover seven different ways you can safely cleanse your obsidian crystal.
But before we proceed, first, let’s find out why do you need to cleanse obsidian.
In This Article
- 1. Does Obsidian Really Need to Be Cleansed?
- 2. 6 Safe Ways to Cleanse Obsidian
- 3. How to Charge Your Obsidian Crystal
- 4. When Should You Cleanse and Charge Obsidian?
- 5. Can You Cleanse Obsidian in Water?
- 6. Can You Cleanse Obsidian in Sunlight?
- 7. How to Clean Your Obsidian
- 8. The Best Way to Cleanse Obsidian
Does Obsidian Really Need to Be Cleansed?
Yes, you need to cleanse your obsidian to restore its vibrations.
Obsidian is a powerful stone that can absorb unwanted energies. You can use it to shield yourself from negative vibrations and psychic attacks.
It is also very healing that can help release your pent-up emotions as well as free you from excessive behaviors.
However, because of its absorbent properties, obsidian can accumulate too many negative energies that can dull its effects.
For you to enjoy the benefits of obsidian, you must clear the stagnant energy it has absorbed over time.
Obsidian cleansing helps remove the negative energy stored on your stone, recharging its powers.
6 Safe Ways to Cleanse Obsidian
Cleansing with Brown Rice
Crystal experts believe that brown rice can absorb negative energy.
To cleanse with brown rice:
- Fill a bowl with brown rice.
- Put your obsidian in the bowl for 24 hours.
- Remove and discard the grains.
Cleansing with Sage
Sage is an herb that has been used for centuries for its cleansing and healing properties.
To cleanse with sage:
- Light some sage leaves on fire using a match or lighter.
- Hold the plant with your right hand.
- Pass your obsidian over the flame, allowing the smoke to engulf it.
- Do this for 30 to 60 seconds.
Cleansing with Moonlight
The moon is a powerful symbol of cleansing and purification.
To cleanse with moonlight:
- Find out the date of the next full moon.
- On the night of the full moon, expose your crystal to the moonlight for at least an hour.
- Collect obsidian before sunrise.
Cleansing with Sound
Sound can be used to raise the vibrations of your obsidian. In this method, a Tibetan singing bowl is typically used to cleanse the stone.
You may also play a video of the Tibetan singing bowl online as an alternative.
To cleanse with sound:
- Position your obsidian in front of the singing bowl.
- Hold the bowl with your right hand and the stick with your left.
- Tap the stick against the bowl to ring it.
- Using the stick, rub the outside of the bowl to continue ringing.
- Do this for 5-10 minutes.
Cleansing with Meditation
Meditation can help eliminate the negative energies stored on your stone and raise its vibration.
To cleanse with meditation:
- Sit in a quiet place with your crystal in front of you.
- Start by visualizing white light surrounding it.
- Imagine the light flushing out negative energies from the crystal.
- Perform this until you feel that the crystal's energy has shifted.
Cleansing with Clear Quartz
Clear quartz is a highly-cleansing stone you can use to purify obsidian.
To cleanse with clear quartz:
- Fill a bowl with small clear quartz stones.
- Place the obsidian on top of the clear quartz.
- Leave them overnight.
How to Charge Your Obsidian Crystal
Aside from cleansing obsidian, you should also charge it with the energy of your intention. This is known as crystal programming.
To charge your crystals:
- Choose a quiet place where you can focus on your intention.
- Sit with your obsidian in front of you.
- Close your eyes and take some deep breaths to relax.
- Visualize the energy of your intention flowing into the crystal.
- When you're done, open your eyes and release the crystal.
- Your intention must align with the energy of the crystal.
If you wish for protection, program the crystal to manifest this intention.
If you desire to heal, think about it when activating the stone.
When Should You Cleanse and Charge Obsidian?
You should cleanse and charge your stone at least once a month.
Or, you can do it if your obsidian feels heavier and duller than usual.
It's also important to cleanse the obsidian every time you're using it for a different intention.
Can You Cleanse Obsidian in Water?
No, we don’t recommend cleansing obsidian in water.
Obsidian is a relatively softer stone that ranked 5 to 5.5 on the said scale.
It’s safer to use the methods above when cleansing your obsidian.
Can You Cleanse Obsidian in Sunlight?
It’s best to refrain from cleansing your obsidian in sunlight.
Although obsidian is generally an opaque stone, some parts of it can be translucent.
Cleansing translucent crystals in sunlight can make the color fade over time.
This is especially true for translucent types of obsidian such as sheen, rainbow, and fire obsidians.
While sunlight cleansing may work for mahogany, snowflake, and black obsidian, it's still best to go with the safer options mentioned above.
How to Clean Your Obsidian
Once you’re done cleansing and charging obsidian, you should also clean it regularly.
But, be cautious. As a soft stone, don’t use abrasive materials to clean obsidian.
Instead, use a soft cloth to wipe the surface of the stone.
This is especially important for obsidian jewelry that can be exposed to dirt and sweat.
The Best Way to Cleanse Obsidian
The best way to cleanse obsidian is the safe way.
The methods above should be safe enough to keep your obsidian from getting damaged during the cleansing process.
So, be sure to cleanse your obsidian if you wish to get the most out of your crystal.