Gratitude is an important virtue that we easily neglect.
With our lives getting busy and our struggles getting the better of us, we tend to forget how to be grateful for the little things.
But isn’t it at these times that we need to be more appreciative of what we have?
A gratitude attitude has wonderful benefits. It improves our well-being, makes us more optimistic, and helps attract positivity.
Simply put, being thankful makes us happier. It makes us more optimistic despite our struggles.
So, if you need help appreciating the things you have, a list of daily gratitude quotes can come in handy.
Below, we curated the best quotes about gratitude from the greatest minds of all time! Discover the words of esteemed authors, prominent people, philosophers, spiritual leaders, and even proverbs.
In This Article
Gratitude Quotes from Spiritual Leaders
- “Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.” —Buddha
- “We need to learn how to want what we have, not to have what we want in order to get steady and stable happiness.” —Dalai Lama
- “The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.” —Dalai Lama
- “All moments are beautiful, only you have to be receptive and surrendering. All moments are blessings, only you have to be capable of seeing. All moments are benedictions. If you accept with a deep gratitude, nothing ever goes wrong.” —Osho
- “Gratitude to God is to accept everything, even my problems, with joy.” —Mother Teresa
- “With gratitude for everything, success and victory will be yours.” —Sadghuru
- “Because you are alive, everything is possible.” —Thick Nhat Hanh
- “Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” —Thick Nhat Hanh
- “Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” —1 Thessalonians 5:18
- “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” —Eckhart Tolle
Proverbs About Gratitude
- “Enough is a feast.” —Buddhist Proverb
- “If you can’t reward then you should thank.” —Arabic Proverb
- “Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.” —Hausa Proverb
- “When eating fruit, remember the one who planted the tree.” —Vietnamese Proverb
- “Who does not thank for little will not thank for much.” —Estonian Proverb
Gratitude Quotes from Philosophers
- “I was complaining that I had no shoes till I met a man who had no feet.” – Confucius
- “Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” —Epicurus
- “A grateful mind is a great mind which eventually attracts to itself great things.” —Plato
- “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” —Voltaire
- “Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” —Robert Brault
- “Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love” – Marcus Aurelius
- “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.” —Epictetus
- “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.” —Cicero
- “Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid but which none have a right to expect.” —Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- “If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, ‘Thank you,’ that would suffice.” —Meister Eckhart
Gratitude Quotes from Prominent People
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them.” —John F. Kennedy
- “We learned about gratitude and humility - that so many people had a hand in our success.” —Michelle Obama
- “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” —Oprah Winfrey
- “The most fortunate are those who have a wonderful capacity to appreciate again and again, freshly and naively, the basic goods of life, with awe, pleasure, wonder and even ecstasy.” —Abraham Maslow
- “O Lord that lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfulness.” —William Shakespeare
- “I can no other answer make, but, thanks, And thanks, and ever thanks.” —William Shakespeare
- “Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.” —Ernest Hemingway
- “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” —Willie Nelson
- "If a fellow isn't thankful for what he's got, he isn't likely to be thankful for what he's going to get." —Frank A. Clark
Gratitude Quotes from Authors
- “It is a serious thing just to be alive on this fresh morning in the broken world” —Mary Oliver
- “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorns have roses.” —Alphonse Karr
- “This a wonderful day. I’ve never seen this one before.” —Maya Angelou
- “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” —William Arthur Ward
- Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” —Charles Dickens
- “No duty is more urgent than giving thanks.” —James Allen
- “Gratitude turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity...it makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” —Melody Beattie
- “Wear gratitude like a cloak, and it will feed every corner of your life.” —Rumi
- “What separates privilege from entitlement is gratitude.” —Brene Brown
- “Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.” —William Arthur Ward
- “We would worry less if we praised more. Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.” —Harry A. Ironside
- “The soul that gives thanks can find comfort in everything; the soul that complains can find comfort in nothing.” —Hannah Whitall Smith
- "Gratitude also opens your eyes to the limitless potential of the universe, while dissatisfaction closes your eyes to it." —Stephen Richards
- "Gratitude and attitude are not challenges; they are choices." —Robert Breathe
Start Being Grateful Today!
With our list of quotes about gratitude, we hope you’ll find the right words to express how grateful you are for the things you have in your life.
Let this be a reminder to always be thankful so you attract the positivity you most desire.
Don’t forget to share these wise words with your friends and family and practice gratitude with them!